|Los Adaes - The First
Capital of Texas
|Questions or comments? E-mail me: email@example.com
|The Royal Road (El Camino de Real), which was established in this part of its Empire by the Spanish after establishing the fort to link to Texas
missions and to San Antonio and further south, can be easily discerned at the Los Adaes fortification.
|Daily bread at Los Adaes: “The soil is almost entirely destitute of water; which unhappy circumstance, joined to the natural
indolence of the people, frequently reduces them to the way of the most common necessaries of life. The chief means of their
subsistence is Indian corn, which they boil, mixed with quick lime, whereby the husk is dissolved into a kind of powder, and the
grain considerably softened. Having washed and bruised it on a chocolate-stone, it is formed into a lump of paste, which they
knead between their hands. Of this dough they made a sort of cake, which is toasted on a plate of iron laid over the fire. This bread
is the native food of the people of New Spain; and indeed, when these thin cakes, or rather wafers, named by the Spaniards
tortillas, are well baked, they are far from unpleasant” (Pierre Marie François de Pagès, Travels Round the World, 1763, p. 51)*
|A detailed plan of the Los Adaes installation from 1720 (University of Texas at Austin)*
|Archaeologists have re-outlined the fort for the state park.
|A 1763 map of Louisiana shows the proximity of the Spanish fort, Los Adaes, and the French fort (St. Jean Baptiste). (Library of Congress)
|Catholic religious emblems found at the fort during archeological excavations. (Wlliamson Museum, Nothwestern State University).*
|Image captions noted with an asteriks (*) denote that the image derives from the Los Adaes website designed and maintained by the Louisiana Division of Archaeology
|How to get
|Los Adaes is now operated by the Cane River National Heritage Area. Its operational hours
used to be restricted due to budget cuts, but this may change depending on the year! To
see if the fort is open, call 318-356-5555.
If you want to chance it and just drive on over, the park is located west of Natchitoches
on LA 6 (the Camino De Real), right before you enter Robeline, along north-bound Parish
Road 485. Or, find it by clicking here: