Bonnie and Clyde. Courtesy Dallas Public Library, used with permission.
The "Death Car" - The rightful owner, a woman from Topeka, Kansas, collected the car in
Louisiana a few days after the ambush. She drove it home, no doubt with the windows open
because the interior hadn't been cleaned after the shootout (can you even imagine!) It sat
sold numerous times before landing in the hands of the Primm Valley Resort and  Casino in
Primm, Nevada, where it is now on display - complete with bullet holes, blood and gore.

Henry Methvin -  Although his father helped him get a lighter sentence in Texas, Oklahoma
didn't honor the plea bargain, since he was wanted in the murder of Deputy Campbell in
Commerce. He served for 10 years, constantly fearing retaliation for his unwitting role in
delivering Bonnie & Clyde to authorities. He died in Louisiana in 1949 when a train cut him
in two.

W.D. Jones - He stayed in jail for a 15 years, although he maintained that Bonnie & Clyde
forced him to participate in the gang.  He later lived in Houston, granting an insightful
interview with Playboy in 1968, a year after the movie "Bonnie & Clyde" debuted. He was
found murdered in 1974.

Blanche Barrow - During her ten years in a Missouri prison, she remained in contact with
the Barrow family and was considered a model prisoner. After her release, she remarried
and tried to forget her painful past, although she did write a memoir about her life. She
died quietly and is buried in Dallas under her married name.

Raymond Hamilton - The state of Texas dubbed him a habitual criminal, sentencing him to
over 200 years in prison. He was convicted in the murder of prison guard Major Crowson
and, after escaping death row with friend Joe Palmer, died in 1935, a victim of Ol' Sparky.
He is buried in a Dallas cemetery.

Frank Hamer and Ted Hinton - After years working as a Ranger and strike buster, Frank
Hamer died in his sleep in 1955. Ted Hinton wrote
Ambush in the 1970s.  
Tools of the Trade
The Barrow Gang was noted and feared for their arsenal of weapons. They stole state of the art  guns, like the Browning Automatic Rifle
(B.A.R.) and Colt .45's, from National Guard Arsenals in Enid, Oklahoma and from the Red River Army Depot near Texarkana, Texas. Clyde
also devised his own weapon which was called a "scattergun." He'd saw off the barrel of a B.A.R. and welded the ammo clips. His weapons
proved infinitely superior to the arms of the law enforcement officers who only used pistols or, as was the case for rural authorities, their
own hunting rifles. Clyde also favored Ford V8's as his getaway cars, because of their handling and speed. He was a very skilled driver,
often speeding in excess of 70 miles an hour down dirt roads - and out of sight of sheriff deputies. Clyde allegedly wrote a letter to the
Ford Motor Company lauding their vehicles.
The Victims
The victims of the Barrow Gang numbered eleven. Although Clyde did not have a hand in killing all of these men, he either
present or was the ring leader of the gang members who pulled the triggers.

John Bucher - (Hillsboro, TX, 1932). Clyde maintained that Raymond Hamilton killed the shopkeeper.

Eugene Moore - (Atoka, OK, 1932). Moore was a police officer who wanted to see if the men in the car (Clyde and Raymond Hamilton) were
drinking moonshine outside of a dance hall.

Howard Hall - (Sherman, TX, 1932). Shopkeeper/butcher. This was Clyde's first direct, intentional murder (except for the killing of the
Eastham Prison trustee.) Some historians dispute that Clyde did this killing, though.

Doyle Johnson - (Temple, TX, 1932). Killed as he was trying to stop Clyde from stealing his car. W.D. Jones fired the fatal shot.

Malcolm Davis. (Dallas, TX, 1933). A sheriff's deputy, Davis and his companions were waiting on the outlaws at the home of Lillian McBride
in West Dallas when Clyde shot him pointblank.

Harry McGinis. (Joplin, MO, 1933). One of the two officers killed in the Joplin, MO garage apartment shootout.

Wes Harryman - (Joplin, MO, 1933). The other officer killed in the shootout at the garage apartment. .

Henry Humphrey - (Alma, AK, 1933). Killed by W.D. Jones and Buck Barrow.

Major Crowson - (Huntsville, TX, 1934). The mounted guard at Eastham Prison whose death spurred the governor to action.

E.B. Wheeler - (Grapevine, TX, 1934). One of the two officers killed on a country road on Easter Sunday.

H.D. Murphy - (Grapevine, TX, 1934). The other officer killed on Easter. It is debated whether Clyde or Henry Methvin instigated the

Cal Campbell - (Commerce, OK, 1934). A constable from Miami. Their last victim on their desperate run from the law.
Traveling History
The TEXAS RANGERS MUSEUM in Waco, Texas has several artifacts from the Barrow Gang, mainly weapons and license plates. Located
right off I35.

PRIMM RESORT & CASINO in Primm, Nevada, displays the "Death Car." Located on I15 at the California/Nevada state line. Call
705-386-7867 for more information.

Bonnie's grave was moved in 1945 to the CROWN HILL cemetery in Central Dallas, on Webb Chapel Road. The grave is southwest of the
mausoleum, behind a high hedgerow. It can be viewed daily while the sun's up.

Clyde's grave is located in the WESTERN HEIGHTS cemetery on Fort Worth Drive in West Dallas. This is a small, intimate burial ground with
many German tombstones.

GIBSLAND and ARCADIA Louisiana host Bonnie & Clyde days in May of every year, complete with reenactments. On the lonely road where
the outlaws breathed their last, a marker has been erected to commemorate the event. Some people say the road is haunted... Call the
Chamber of Commerce at (318)263-9897 for more information.

Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Museum in Gibsland, Louisiana, is located in the old Cranston Cafe, where Bonnie and Clyde ate their last

The STAR SERVICE STATION (a.k.a. the Barrow gas station) is still sitting on Singleton Boulevard in West Dallas. It's now a tire repair shop.  
The house that Henry Barrow attached is also there.

The DALLAS HISTORICAL SOCIETY sponsors the very popular "Bonnie & Clyde Tour," visiting their hideouts, houses, murder sites, graves,
and jails. This fun trip is narrated by John Neal Phillips, who wrote the authoritative book, "Running with Bonnie and Clyde." See for details.

EASTHAM PRISON FARM still stands, although it is no longer used - just a ghostly shell remains. Of course it's haunted! (You had to ask?)
The State of Texas- Department of Corrections has created a great museum in Huntsville. You can visit the old electric chair...just make
sure not to sit down.  Located off I45, exit 118. Call 936-295-2155 for more information or visit

The house that Bonnie and Clyde lived in for a few weeks in JOPLIN, MISSOURI still stands on 34th Street. It has been renovated, so there
aren't any  bullet holes to see. The house survived the devastating F5 tornado in 2011.
Floor of the now-gone Conger Furniture Store and Funeral parlor. After the ambush, Bonnie and Clyde were taken here to visit the coroner.
The Lonely Roads of Bonnie and Clyde
Pano's Diner (now closed) is in downtown Shreveport. This is where Bonnie, Clyde, and Henry Methvin lost track of each other a few days before
the ambush.
The truss bridge at Wellington, Texas,  was built in the 1930s. No bridge existed when Clyde zoomed by, ignoring warning signs that the bridge
was out. He crashed the car, which severely injured Bonnie. W.D. Jones was with them during this incident.
Visit more photos of Bonnie and Clyde's Haunts!
Dexter, Iowa is the site of the gang's Waterloo.
The infamous Joplin Hideout survived the deadly Joplin F5 Tornado in 2011.
Buy it now: Traveling History
with Bonnie and Clyde
by Robin Cole Jett!

Would you like a tour of Bonnie &
Clyde's Dallas? Just e-mail me at
Questions or comments? E-mail me:
Ask the average person  about Bonnie & Clyde and most likely, any information they supply will be from the
ground breaking 1967 movie. So what's true, and what's fiction? Lemme fill you in.
Fame and Death
Their plan to raid the prison farm was accomplished on January 16, 1934. During the siege, in which mounted guard Major Crowson was
killed, Clyde freed his friends Raymond Hamilton, Joe Palmer and Henry Methvin. Raymond and Clyde became bitter enemies, however,
when Raymond hid some cash after a bank robbery. Both went their separate ways - Raymond later dying in the electric chair.

The raid on the prison farm, coupled with the killing of two police officers in Grapevine on Easter Sunday, 1934, sealed the couple's fates.
Although Henry Methvin was a murderer, his father arranged for leniency with the courts if he could deliver Bonnie & Clyde to Texas
Ranger Frank Hamer and his posse, who had been summoned by the governor of Texas to bring down the outlaws.

On May 23, 1934, as Bonnie and Clyde drove down a dusty road outside of Gibsland, Louisiana, the laws ambushed them in a volley of gun
fire that shot  Bonnie & Clyde to pieces.

The loud claps of gunfire awakened this sleepy area of lumberjacks and villages. Hundreds of people came out to see what had
happened, and when the crowds realized that Bonnie and Clyde had been killed, they went a little frantic. The newspapers had made the
couple out to be larger than life, but in death, they looked tiny and shattered.

The death scene became a media circus, with souvenir hunters vying for pieces of the dead couple - including body parts (one misguided
soul even tried to cut off Clyde's trigger finger). The "death car", a tan 1934 Ford, still held the pair as they were wheeled into town of
Arcadia for the coroner to examine the bodies. Onlookers climbed on top of each other to watch the examination.

They were brought back home where their funerals were attended by hundreds of curious Dallasites. Bonnie had wanted to be buried
next to Clyde but her mother refused. So she was laid to rest in the old Fishtrap Cemetery in West Dallas (she was later moved to Crown
Hill Memorial Park), and Clyde was buried next to his brother Buck in a cemetery along Fort Worth Avenue. The run of the most  romantic
and dangerous of outlaws in American history finally ended.
The Bonnie and Clyde "death car" now resides inside Whiskey Pete's, a casino in Primm Valley, Nevada
Clyde's "death shirt" is also on exhibit inside the rather sad surroundings at Whiskey Pete's.
From the exhibit card: "Clyde made ths necklace for his younger
sisters Marie while he was in Eastham Prison, just outside of
Huntsville, Texas. The Barrows were a very close family, and they
often visited Clyde in prison, as did Bonnie. Sentenced to fourteen
years on two counts of car robbery and five counts of burglary along
with Barrow Gang member Ralph Fults, Clyde was paroled after less
than two years in February 2 1932. He returned home a bitter and
angry young man.
The back of Clyde's "death shirt" shows damage from exiting
bullets. The "death" items were acquired by the casino via a
number of auctions and deals. The "death car," for example, was
owned by a collector of gangster memorabilia in Florida whose
collection was sold off by his widow. To get a look at the ambush's
aftermath in 1934, watch the
newsreel with footage taken by
ambush posse member Ted Hinton.
Nice and Morbid:  a letter from Bonnie's funeral director about what he experienced before Bonnie's funeral.
(Southern Methodist University Archives)
Mounted guards at Eastham Prison Farm during the 1930s (City of Huntsville).
Bonnie and Clyde Virtual Tour
Bonnie & Clyde Haunts